Maine Brain Drain

August 2017
June 2014

powered by

Fashion Insider

Maine Brain Drain

Originally posted October 3, 2017
You need Flash Player in order to view this.
America's Brain Drain
President Obama devoted much of his State of the Union address to education and science. For years our American universities have attracted the best science students in the world, but as John Blacksto...

It’s hard enough landing a good paying job in journalism, but rural parts of America like Maine could prove to be even more difficult.

The "brain drain" phenomena could be part of the problem of retaining younger educated talent pools. John Martin tweets, “One of our shared issues between Maine & NH - brain associated w/a perceived lack of opportunity at home.”  Natalee E. Stotz commented on Twitter, “I felt the same @ their age. Now I’m back & getting some where professionally!” This is encouraging news for the Humanities and Religion teacher sector that Stotz states is her career on twitter.

Eric G. E. Zuelow tweets, “Not sure about the numbers comparatively speaking, but  Maine is certainly aging. Brain drain a big problem.”

So what is "brain drain,” by definition according to Merriam-Webster is, “the departure of educated or professional people from one country, economic sector, or field for another usually better pay or living conditions.”

Portland seems to have the most quantity of journalism jobs in the state according to goggle search. But do the salaries compare to the cost of living? James Russell tweets of an infographic shows that seasonal employees in the Portland, Maine region is one factor in the pinching of housing supply.

Why does Maine have a hard time retaining college educated younger work force has been posted in the news lately?  One reason could be the lack of diversified jobs and second the pay scale is low compared to the cost of living. Joes Rivano Barros tweets, "This is what happens when your  economic  powerhouse is tech & it denies minorities high-paying jobs.” Adam Côte who is running for governor of Maine tweets, "For better educational opportunities to more high paying jobs, we can make every corner of Maine Better."

From a recent job search in Maine for graphic design positions, one that stated the pay rate was around $31,000-$35,000 with a bachelor’s degree and min of 3 years work experience. According to Indeed UMaine,  this salary equates to roughly $15-$17 dollars per hour. This is not even enough to afford a 2 bedroom apartment in Maine according to a Washington Post article. Not to mention having to pay off your college debt in the process of keeping a roof over your head.

In an article posted on LinkedIn by Jeremy Francis, entitled “Why our kids won't succeed at Work,” states with college students being advised to go into careers in the DLE (Doctor, Lawyer and Engineering) Zone, “They have to compete with thousands of others for limited jobs, causing a brain drain and capacity building problem.” “The solution is to migrate.”

Instagram user Johan Van Logg posts a picture captioned, “Building an Empire with a turn of a  page #brain drain.”

-SE-

23 Comments to Maine Brain Drain:

Comments RSS
best dissertation proposal on Saturday, April 28, 2018 6:35 AM
The post is really nice in terms of presentation. And the content complements it nicely. However it just needs to be a bit more organized. Apart from that, good work.

Jaime on Friday, October 26, 2018 5:40 AM
I am very happy to visit here in the all post of in the blog. This blog totally help for fashion new update. I really like to it for here. playground tiles

https://allcustomboxes.co.uk/ on Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:36 AM
Always has really good posts and topics please keep it up! loads of blogs are going under lately from lack of new posts. Well done!

Johny on Monday, October 29, 2018 6:06 AM
Maine Brain Drain is really perfect topic you have covered and shared with everyone. I am totally impressed with everyone needs you have already published here. london bricks for sale

sims 4 mods on Friday, January 25, 2019 2:16 AM
Let create a new world for yourselft by way take part in the games– sims 4 mods in my site. Click link to visit site. Thank you so much.

Apple Case on Saturday, April 20, 2019 4:18 AM
I've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways to help protect against content from being ripped off? I'd really appreciate it.

Google on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:00 AM
good
Reply to comment

mike on Sunday, June 16, 2019 3:05 PM
Interesting and amazing how your post is. It Is useful and helpful for me, that i like it very much, and i am looking forward to hearing from your next. pvc tarpaulin

things to do post on Friday, June 21, 2019 1:34 AM
Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions?

college essay online on Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:42 PM
Now I know something about this phenomena. If you have any other info - post it here.

Jimmi on Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:37 AM
I am happy to be on this website,you have written about brain drain which i like reading.I have learned a lot from this post which will help me in future. Visit website for complete detail about Driving schools Birmingham

David S. Ballou on Friday, August 9, 2019 5:17 AM
These are the essential things required by any business setups. In order to become successful, you should follow some successful business Leader like Arviv Click Here For More Information.

bing homepage quiz on Friday, August 30, 2019 10:50 AM
This is only web page where you can know more about bing reward.

Write My Thesis on Friday, September 6, 2019 9:56 AM
American corporate brain drain is very amazing topic and It is a coincidence for me I am writing on this topic and I have to describe brain drain.

Shoulder Surgery Steger on Monday, September 30, 2019 2:28 AM
I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it.

Bespoke Boxes on Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:24 AM
This is such a good article. We provide Bespoke Boxes for packaging.et custom boxes, bath bomb boxes, at your doorstep

dvsdgd on Friday, October 18, 2019 12:22 AM
Vaping devices include not just e-cigarettes Guitars at the lowest price guaranteed Vaping pen

Certus Trading Reviews on Saturday, October 19, 2019 3:44 AM
The educational programs offered by Certus Trading Reviews include courses on stocks and bonds, as well as options and commodities trading. Founder Matt Choi is a Chartered Market Technician with 17 years experience as a trader.

Assignment help uk on Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:48 PM
Fashion Insider Card member, simply enter your Fashion Insider Card number during checkout.

custom boxes on Monday, November 18, 2019 2:05 AM
Thank you very much for this great article. keep going.

google ads certification on Monday, November 18, 2019 2:06 AM
Very nice post. Thank you very much for sharing.

debora on Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:48 AM
Hi! I'm very enjoying this platform is a lot of fully informative place. I suggest you just for own my experience and avail good services related to the packaging on this platform custom boxes.Here, on this place give us good services all of packaging as like cheap printed boxes, etc.
Reply to comment

http://www.vizualize.me/ReclinerforBackPain# on Monday, January 13, 2020 1:26 AM
Thank You. I learn more about this topic from your post. http://www.vizualize.me/ReclinerforBackPain